Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday 10 X 200

I like Jack Daniels VDOT calculator, the only problem comes when your last race was 100 miles. VDOT is based on recent race results so my workout today was more by feel than anything. 10 X 200 on a rolling 3/4 mile stretch of dirt road between 8100-8300 altitude. No straining or pushing, the thought was more to relax and hold good form with out ever feeling like I couldn't speed up. The fastest was 33" and the slowest was 37". Some were down, some were up and I used my GPS so the precise measurements are questionable (I used .13mi just to be sure), but the legs were definitely there despite a big week of training both running and biking and it felt great to run fast.
Over the past few years my biggest weakness has been my extensive focus on base. My base fitness would be huge with MAF tests that averaged in the 5:50 pace range, but what I lacked was lactate development and comfort for extended periods of times at a fast pace. A lack of muscular development to handle fast paces really. So hopefully I can change my ways and address the issue this year.
 Every time I think about possible races this year, the Denver Marathon pops in to my head. I think it might be perfect for me as I would drop ~3000ft in altitude, it isn't flat, and it's ~40:00 from my house.

2 comments:

Fred (aka ace) said...

So your post has left me wondering about the type of muscular development is necessary to handle "fast" paces. I've been thinking of something similar this year (unfortunately in my case not because of hitting 5:50 at MAF) because of running across different definitions of fitness all over the web. I wonder if strength ( including range of motion, tendon, and muscular) at this juncture make for an even more efficient athlete?

With an exceptionally developed capacity for endurance, turning attention lactate and muscular recruitment seems to be the logical next step. I think the reason I ask is because so much of the stuff on the web focuses only on looks or strength or explosive power, I wonder where is the emphasis on developing a more "efficient" system/body that is both strong and enduring?

Lucho said...

"I wonder if strength ( including range of motion, tendon, and muscular) at this juncture make for an even more efficient athlete?"
That's exactly what I'm talking about. If you look at these factors through all pace ranges they differ. So if you are jogging at 8:00 pace, this requires a different range of motion and the stresses on your muscles and tendons are specific to this. Then as you increase speed (range of motion) your muscles and tendons are subjected to different stresses. There has to be development of specific strength regarding goal speed. Yesterday when I was running 33" 200's I distinctly felt muscles start to weaken, muscles that I rarely use when jogging. And as I sit here now I feel faint soreness in my hips. Now think about holding a fast pace for 26 miles non-stop? There are so many factors that go in to running a fast marathon, aerobic (fuel) efficiency, lactate threshold, AeT, and muscular durability to handle the same repetitive motion with out losing economy due to muscle failure. Once a muscle shuts down due to fatigue then others must take up the load.
And as you know, a strong muscle is a more economical muscle and will also be more resistant to injury. The Kenyans and Ethiopians ALL do some form of strength training.
Does that make sense?