Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tuesday .5 miles.

I tested my hamstring today. I had no pain and even full flexibility with no pain. I ran to the end of my street and back and it tightened up a little bit, but I don't think it hurt. This is a learning experience for me. I've had plantar fascists (spell check doesn't recognize fasciitis and suggests I go with fascists) but it never stopped me from running. I ran through it and it went away with daily deep tissue massage in my soleus and gastroc. And that's it. So I have to figure out what is injury pain and what is just a runners malady. I think everyone suffers from minor aches and pains but where's that line? I have done what I would tell my athletes. Rest until it feels good, then test it. A friend of mine who is a lifetime runner and PT said to rest it for 3 days. Then run. If I still feel something then I can try to run 100 miles a week and see if it goes away. Caution is important but so is toughening up. We'll see.

2 comments:

Brett said...

LOL @ your post. What is a plantar fascist?

An authoritarian podiatrist ideology that aims to create a single-apendage state led by a dictatorial arch who seeks unity by requiring other apendages to subordinate self-interest to the collective interest of the feet?

Lucho said...

Damn. That was good. Sounds about right!