Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday 0 miles

The hamstring is feeling good today. I might try a short jog tomorrow but it's doubtful, rest is important to prevent an injury. Too many times I've seen athletes get a twinge and try to push through it. I may be over reacting a bit, but I think it's smart. Lose 3 days of training due to caution, or lose 3 months due to injury? I'm not good at math, but I think I know the answer.

Saturday is a group run at the Louisville Sports Complex (the baseball fields) in Louisville. It'll be a 2-3 mile warm-up, then a 12 mile push on an out and back flat trail. If we get enough people to come then everyone can find someone to run with. You can also turn around early to shorten the run.

2 comments:

Matt said...

So my 135-145 run today might have yielded a little insight. I have the occasional frustration at not being able to open-up more, but my commitment to discipline and a kind of new-found peace about the journey might still that frustration.

But the insight concerns my HR "staying low" by keeping it low. Meaning, during a hilly trail run in the mid-day heat, a "normal" run would produce some big HR spikes and eventually the HR would just kinda soar and never really come back down. Today my HR stayed low. Sure I slowed-down/walked during a climb, but the HR responded quickly and off I went. This might sound like I stayed out in the heat too long, or that I'm really trying to convince myself that what I'm doing is good.

Bottomline: The aerobic bliss was accompanied an obedient HR.

Justin Mock said...

Agree with your rest theory - if I had done the same in March, you may not have so much crap to give me about my marathon PR!

Can't make it on Saturday, racing on Sunday.