Woke up and started my run before the sun came up- as it was just breaking the horizon and orange, pink and red filled the sky I thought of how blessed I am in this world. My life is at such a great and positive place right now with my beautiful son, beautiful wife, and great friends. I'm healthy. I've worked so hard on admitting my faults and coming face to face with who I have been, am, and want to be and I am thriving on a new found spirituality in my life. We make our life what it is through our actions.
am) 15 miles with GZ.. it was great to catch up with George and hear about his insane weekend at Pikes! Crazy! But in a good way.
pm) 4 miles very relaxed jogging. No watch. To start my legs felt very stiff, by the end they felt very good.
I believe firmly in the 80/ 20 rule of diet. Do your best 80% of the time and the other 20% can be less strict. This morning after my run I burned through my 20% for the next month... we went to Sweet Tomatoes (an all you can eat salad bar that has a great Sunday brunch). As best as I can remember this is what I ate:
1 bowl of yogurt with granola.
4 waffles with syrup and butter.
1 heaping pile of eggs and sausage.
1 heaping pile of fried potatoes.
3 biscuits covered in sausage gravy.
4 cinnamon rolls. Icing and all.
I was hungry and I wanted to eat. Of course this is not a runner's diet but I think the 'release' of allowing a slip in diet can be more beneficial psychologically than making yourself stress, first of all over not being able to eat things you like.. and then feeling guilty after. I ran 110 miles this week along with a 2+ hour bike and I have a 19 month old son and I'm already at goal race weight. In the diet big picture- the fat and sugar from the brunch will be insignificant, I'm probably closer to 90/ 10 anyway. In the stress big picture- allowing myself to eat whatever I feel like simply because I think it's good may be big in keeping me on track more consistently with my motivation. It's the long term diet that matters and the last 10 weeks before race day that matter more.