Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday 19 miles. Week total 110 miles.

Woke up and started my run before the sun came up- as it was just breaking the horizon and orange, pink and red filled the sky I thought of how blessed I am in this world. My life is at such a great and positive place right now with my beautiful son, beautiful wife, and great friends. I'm healthy. I've worked so hard on admitting my faults and coming face to face with who I have been, am, and want to be and I am thriving on a new found spirituality in my life. We make our life what it is through our actions.
am) 15 miles with GZ.. it was great to catch up with George and hear about his insane weekend at Pikes! Crazy! But in a good way.
pm) 4 miles very relaxed jogging. No watch. To start my legs felt very stiff, by the end they felt very good.

I believe firmly in the 80/ 20 rule of diet. Do your best 80% of the time and the other 20% can be less strict. This morning after my run I burned through my 20% for the next month... we went to Sweet Tomatoes (an all you can eat salad bar that has a great Sunday brunch). As best as I can remember this is what I ate:
1 bowl of yogurt with granola.
4 waffles with syrup and butter.
1 heaping pile of eggs and sausage.
1 heaping pile of fried potatoes.
3 biscuits covered in sausage gravy.
4 cinnamon rolls. Icing and all.

I was hungry and I wanted to eat. Of course this is not a runner's diet but I think the 'release' of allowing a slip in diet can be more beneficial psychologically than making yourself stress, first of all over not being able to eat things you like.. and then feeling guilty after. I ran 110 miles this week along with a 2+ hour bike and I have a 19 month old son and I'm already at goal race weight. In the diet big picture- the fat and sugar from the brunch will be insignificant, I'm probably closer to 90/ 10 anyway. In the stress big picture- allowing myself to eat whatever I feel like simply because I think it's good may be big in keeping me on track more consistently with my motivation. It's the long term diet that matters and the last 10 weeks before race day that matter more.

10 comments:

GZ said...

LUCHO - HAPPY BIRTHDAY (well, tomorrow!)

Marco Coelho said...

Lucho,

Amen brother! There's a Buddhist proverb that states one has not begun to live mindfully until they have witnessed a thousand sunrises. In the end, we're animals like all the other things out there. We need a connection to nature in order to thrive.

Marco Coelho said...

Dude, your playlist rocks! I've been listening to it before I run. It's taken me back about 10 years to a time when I felt the "fire" burning inside. Those who have lit the match know what we're talking about...

Lucho said...

Thanks Marco! It's been a while.. sorry we missed the going away party. How is the humid running?

Marco Coelho said...

Dude, let's just say that China has nothing on this place. It's hard, very hard! Worst part is, you get no benefit from it. Unlike training at altitude, which provides you with huge benefits.

You guys will have to make our next going away party. That means, of course, that you will have to fly to Nashville to see us off to where ever we are going next...

Hope you and the family is well.

BRFOOT said...

ALL things in moderation!

Lucho said...

Brfoot- Except running.

BRFOOT said...

The definition of moderation is different for everyone. For you 100 miles is moderate for me torture.But you balance that 100 miles with the other things in your life that have value to you. You give each their do, that is moderation.

J.P. Patrick said...

Allowing yourself the few diet cheats is part of why I love running. I want to be the fittest chef I can and still enjoy the little things in life... in moderation! Check out the Lafayette farmers market on Thursday evenings @ Public & Cannon for your non-gravy covered eating + fun to walk the baby jogger and dog down to pick out a local dinner.

Lucho said...

Good point Brfoot.. I didn't think of it that way in regards to how running fits in to my life. In that case then moderation in running for sure! Thanks as always for the different view!

JP- Ya- I need to go to the farmers market more often. Thanks for the reminder! I think the last time I had biscuits and gravy was back when I was a lift operator at Winter Park.. ca. 1993!!