Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Tuesday

Stretch cords (swim) X 125. Pretty brutal when you're weak but definitely good dry land strength anytime you can't swim. Similar to VASA which is awesome.

Bike- 1:05 with 2000ft of climbing. The roads are icy/ packed snow up high in the shade and I hit a dirt covered patch and ate it. I was going slow and just slid out but landed on my fuc*ing left knee and tore it open again. Exact same spot that I hit a couple of months ago running. This was less impact and more just abrasion and the knee feels fine.
  No HR or Garmin as of late, just my trusty and simple Highgear carabiner altimeter. Mainly because the Garmin is so tedious to download. I have the base model FR10 which has to be plugged in to download, which you kind of have to do often anyway because it has THE most pathetic battery life, something like 4 hours if you use the HRM. 4 hours!? Really? And Garmin Connect is horrible. It ranks down there with i-tunes. And it has nothing to do with me being an idiot with electronic stuff or a grumpy old man.
 I did a quick 4 X 15 squat set right before the bike and then on the bike focused on over gearing (ME or muscle endurance) the climbs and standing as much as I could. There's a benefit for runners with  standing on the bike as it forces (and strengthens) your hips to stabilize your knees under load, something you don't get with running. Standing also mimics the running motion a little more, again under load.        

7 comments:

GZ said...

JV and I were just bitching about the craptastic ANT agent. A 50% work rate is just not acceptable.

Lucho said...

With my old 405 the ANT stick was solid for me. Never a blip. But this FR10 is junk. It could be OK if the battery life wasn't pathetic. 4 hours? And don't me started on the new Garmin website. I may have to check out the new Timex.

Anonymous said...

Nice work. I'm jonsing for the pool so bad. Gary D.

Jeff Valliere said...

After struggling with Garmin for nearly 5 years (first the 305 and now the 910xt), I am officially done with Garmin! I can't even tell you how many hours I have wasted troubleshooting, waiting, waiting, swearing, uninstalling, reinstalling, waiting, hard resetting, bitching to GZ and Brandon, talking on the phone with Garmin support, contemplating hammering it all to smithereens....

Thankfully REI has a great return policy, the 910 is going back today and I'll be moving to Suunto. Too bad, because I really like the actual watch, but the interface/ANT/software drives me mad. You would think Garmin could do better than this.

Lucho said...

Jeff-
I'm fine and better without GPS I think. Not sure what Garmin is doing.

Steve said...

Suunto ambit 3 peak, pricey as hell but one heck of a watch. 30 hrs battery life and solid software. IMO.

Jeff Valliere said...

I got rid of the 910xt today and got a Suunto Ambit3 Sport. I know it is a bit less than the Peak, but for my use, the battery life is not really an issue, nor is the barometric feature. Otherwise it is essentially the same. The accuracy seems to be FAR superior and the software blows Garmin out of the water. Syncing with my iPhone is pretty slick too. I'm sold!