Sunday, June 30, 2013

Leadman 2013

 Huge congrats to my Leadwoman and Leadman kids. I feel like they are my kids in a way. On race morning when the gun went off I had to watch them leave the nest and my job was done... it was up to them. And they all crushed it! Anywhere from 30:00 to 1:30 faster than their previous attempts. Great start... only 256 more miles to go. 

Over-all in the Leadman race:
 My quick Google stalking results and thoughts... 


1st- Travis Macy 3:38 Has never run a 100. 26th place in 7:15 at the 2011 Leadville 100 bike/ 1st place in 3:52 at the Leadville Silver Rush 50 MTB in 2010. Tons of experience and a professional. He'll race smart. Hell of a nice guy too. 


2nd- Marco Peinado 3:58 (-20:00 back) Leadville 100 run DNF.

3rd- Bob Africa 4:04 (-26:00) 21st place in 21:33 at the Leadville 100 in 2011.

4th- Luke Jay 4:11 (-33:00) Solid all around athlete. Adventure racer who trains with Travis Macy. 

5th- Donnie Haubert 4:12 (-34:00) Solid runner. A couple of Leadville 100 run finishes and a Hardrock finisher... nuff said. Experience and toughness matters at Leadman.

6th- Brian Oestrike 4:24 (-46:00) 28:42 at Leadville 100 run last year. Placed 2nd at the TARC 50 mile 3 weeks ago so he was tired. He summited Lhotse and is a crazy solid climber... so the guy has balls and is badass. I would guess he knows how to suffer for days which is useful here.

7th- Tim Long 4:25 (-47:00) The "danger man" in my mind. Even with out my bias, on paper he's the guy to beat. Easily the most experienced and smartest guy in the field. Too many solid results to list but he's a two time Hardrock finisher and he's ridden ultra mountain bike races with a broken rib and thumb... he's nails. 47:00 down but this is a guy that can put 5 hours on you in the 100 run. He's also one of the strongest and most experienced cyclists in Leadman. He can win if he doesn't do the Silver Rush 50 run (IMO) hint hint. He's run Leadville and he paced me twice for the last 50 miles of the 100... so he knows what to expect more than anyone in the field. Look for Tim to move in to second after the 50 and 100 bike. And then it's all about the 100 run and no one in the field has his CV... he's my pick to take it.

12 comments:

GCDavid said...

Had beers w Brian after TARC. His brother Has his owb brewing company somget him to hook you up Really nice dude. And he works at an altitude tent company.

Lucho said...

Gary- Having a brew co. in the family puts him up a notch on my list (if they make a good IPA) :)

Donnie said...

The high five at mile 16 kept me rockin! Good to see you out there.

Lucho said...

You looked super solid Donnie! Can't wait to watch you crush this crazy ass race.

GZ said...

I am so luvin' that you are breaking this down like this.

And the hint too.

GCDavid said...

I had one. It's brewed in Ohio. It's as good as you could expect coming from Ohio.

Local Mind Media said...

Good seeing you at the start. I appreciate the confidence. It's fun just to race against such a solid field of guys.

luke jay said...

Tim...thanks for the compliment! I'm just trying to enjoy this crazy ride that is leadman and see what happens. I'm such a rookie. Travis is gonna be real tough for anyone to touch (IMO).

Lucho said...

Hey Luke- Definitely I think enjoying the craziness is key! And my predictions are worth nothing in a race like this! Anything can happen and calling the winner today would be like trying to predict the weather 7 weeks from now. Have fun man, see you out there.

Brian Oestrike and Justin Hewitt said...

Lucho - thanks for the kind words and it's awesome to meet you! Dylan Bowman gave me the intro to your sit and I'm a big fan! I'd be happy to introduce you to Jackie's beverages at one of the upcoming sufferfests!?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim, are you accepting new coacing clients? If so, what's the best way to contact you to learn more?

Lucho said...

Anon- right now I can't see having an opening until January. But it doesn't hurt to check back once in a while.
jogdaddy at gmail.