Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thursday

I'm resting today to try to shake the fatigue from my legs a bit before heading up to Buena Vista tomorrow for the Collegiate Peaks 50 mile on Saturday morning. This will be my 3rd 'ultra' and I feel and think very much like a tentative rookie. The plan is to take it out easy and relaxed and just try to have a strong second 25 miles. I wish I had the confidence to go with the leaders but I just don't feel that yet. It looks like the field will be fast and strong and I'll hopefully sweep up some carnage in the late miles. I learned little in my first ultra, a 50 mile race in Alabama in which I won too easily and was never challenged, not even by myself. I learned a ton in my second race in Moab this year where I was completely crushed not only by the field and the course but by my own mental weaknesses. Saturday I will be simply trying to prevent those mental weaknesses from surfacing and to learn a little more in prep for Leadville in August. Nick has been kind enough to give some insight in the comments on yesterday's post.

10 comments:

skatona said...

Good luck!

You saying you can't hang in the lead pack from the beginning is ridiculous, though.

Brett said...

There are indeed actually several good things about not going out too fast. Unlike being in first and wondering where everyone is, they should know time splits back to you at aid stations. Its a huge momentum difference to hear time splits coming down as opposed to just being alone in the wilderness wondering.

Of course I've never been in that position, so I'm making all this up.

Bret said...

Have a great race! I'll be running the 25 mile race! It will be an awesome day!

Lucho said...

Shaun- I didn't say I can't hang... I just don't want to. I just don't have the confidence in my ability after 25 miles to run aggressively from the gun. We'll see though. I'm going to run every step as I feel and that may be faster than others. I'm not interested in 'racing' though.

Brett- In hindsight that strategy would have yielded much different results at Moab... so I think you're correct.

Thanks Bret, I hope to meet you there.

David said...

I think that is an awesome plan Tim. Are you planning on racing (all out) the last 10 or so miles? I imagine that would really destroy the body, which might not (or might?, I really don't know) be a great idea with how amazing your training has been.

Either way, it will be fun to follow. Races like that are probably physical and mental journeys; your strategy seems geared towards enjoying it a bit.

Lucho said...

I think if I gauge my effort correctly then simply maintaining pace will be an all out effort in the last 10 miles. I do want to simply have fun though which I rarely have in races. My mentality doesn't allow it. If I don't race others then I can enjoy it I think.

beth said...

good luck and have a good day out there. run strong.

Lucho said...

Back at you Beth. Have a blast!

Jim P. said...

I have a feeling you'll surprise yourself...confidence or not.

Get 'em.

JRP

David said...

I just want to say that I am sending good vibes from the East Coast!
WARNING: Touching the vibes will most likely result in diseases heretofore confined to monkeys.