Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday 17 miles..

Horrible run, maybe the worst I've had since March. I thought I felt good going in and had planned on running 26 miles. By mile 10 I was thinking about food which is a huge red flag for me because I don't ever think about food, even when I'm hungry. My legs got weak and I lost all drive to run. So I shuffled back and ended at 17 miles having never broken HR 144 despite a solid effort. One of the first signs of carbohydrate depletion is a depressed HR. I came home and ate everything except our cat and that's only because he saw the look in my eyes and ran. This is a total rookie mistake on my part. Last night for dinner I ate eggs and turkey sausage and that's all, and when I think back to yesterday I don't remember really eating anything. No carbohydrates. There is a good deal of research out there on carbohydrate requirements being elevated at higher elevations and I've read all of it and it seems that last night I forgot all of it. Frustrating that I know better and I still made the mistake. I guess when I stop learning then I'll either be the greatest coach in the world or dead. Good things do come from my own mistakes though, I think it makes me better in helping others to not make them.

8 comments:

GZ said...

Couple of thoughts ...

... awesome that you seek success (or learning) even in failure. Nothing teaches success like failure.

... I hear you on the diet. It drives me a bit nuts about the diligence all this seems to take - particularly when I compare it to my 20s. I could eat a cat in my 20s and PR the next day. Now it seems I need to always be thinking about running when I am NOT running. Hydration. Diet. Lip waxes.

That is a great header pic. Coe and Cram. Two of the 80s greats. Too bad they ducked each other alot.

Lucho said...

I can simply not eat very much at all for days and I'm usually fine. My metabolism is either wrecked or very efficient? The altitude is really starting to wear on me a bit so I do need to ramp up the calories. The intensity also has messed with me.
I'll give you 20$ to wax your moustachio off.

GZ said...

Hmm. Isn't this from the 20 Camels in 60 minutes for 20 bucks guy?

Mustache wax ... That is a whole level of tough beyond me.

Lucho said...

Ya, really. I should stop betting. The wax thing HAS to kill! Especially a stache. That's worth at least a hundred.

jameson said...

i'll throw in a 20 spot if GZ waxes the stache!

Lucho said...

Since I can't afford 100$, even to see GZ suffer :)... I'll do 20$ too. So we have $40.00.

kerrie said...

i'll volunteer to do the waxing :), i do my legs myself all the time!!!

what else could cause a low heart rate??

GZ said...

I might be enticed to do this for some charity organization. Like Moms who forget to wear sox or something like that.