Friday, July 1, 2016

Friday

     Ya, it's been awhile since I've posted. We'll see where this goes, if it does.
     Am) Run 3 miles in ~31:00 or so at MAF. I flub my MAF either out of ignorance, arrogance, or a good sense of what works for me. Probably a combination of all three. I still use HR 140-150 which I used in my 20's when I was first told to train at MAF by Mike Pigg. He said, and I quote, "Just train at HR 140-150." So really it would be arrogant of me to NOT train at HR 140-150 as one could assume I think I know more than him if I didn't. Ya. Let's go with that. Seriously though I used PE and called it MAF even though my HR was in the high 150's today. And that's because I'm in poor shape. This was my second run in 3 months.

     Pm) Bike 55:00 with 2000ft of climbing. I have this distant niggle in the back of my brain put there by a guy in Australia who hired me to help me him with an attempt at Everesting. It's a challenge to ride 29,000 feet of vertical (up) in one session. No sleeping. Using only a single climb. Up and down until you reach 29,000 feet. The climb I scouted, er... I mean accidentally rode, tonight was 2.6 miles with 860 feet of up. By my abecedarian maths I figure a successful Everesting would be 34 laps at ~40:00 (optimistic) a lap which comes out to about 22 hours if I didn't quit or die. It's intriguing to me because it isn't a race and you get nothing for doing it except maybe a boil on your grundle (Google it but do NOT choose images. Seriously.) This sounds like a scheme GZ would try so it HAS to be sound.
     I don't think that hill works though. If you look at the fancy graph thingy that plots the incline of everyone who has done it, most of the little dots seem to be bunched around shorter, steeper grades. Which makes sense. That 40:00 per lap split is the killer. So you have to balance speed, so your not out there for a day, with your ability on steeper grades. Too steep and 10 hours in you'll be walking, which just so happens to be against the official rules. I like this climb though because it's a quaint, dirt road with very little traffic. After 10 hours I don't want to swerve into a truck. Or maybe I will?
     We'll see. It's a niggle right now and I feel I need something like that out there. Not a race. I have no interest in that right now.

No comments: