Friday, July 22, 2011

Healing setback

 I knew it was going to happen and I was warned about it... a sneeze. My ribs are still super tender and deep breaths hurt. This morning I sneezed and was wracked with a Mike Tyson left hook pain to the ribs. Now they hurt when I just breath normal and any engagement of my lats or pectoralis make my ribs twang. Definitely the worst they have hurt since the crash and it definitely makes me rethink Leadville. If I can't train effectively over the next 2 weeks then I don't even want to do it. I want to ride fast... not just finish. I've never feared a sneeze before but now it scares the crap out of me.

6 comments:

GZ said...

I imagined that would be the case when I heard of this. I also thought that the toughest part of the day would be sleeping.

There are a lot of supposed tricks to stop a sneeze. I find, as stupid as it is, saying elephant seems to help.

Lucho said...

Elephant? Heck, I'll try anything to stop one! A few people mentioned the sneeze thing so I was warned.

Rick said...

I'm pretty sure cycling/mtn biking is all legs and no upper body, so you should be alright for Leadville, right?
You'll heal up quickly, you're a machine right now!

Lucho said...

Road biking you can definitely relax your upper body more, but MT biking you are torquing the handlebars and throwing the front end around which engages the lats a lot. I'm heading this evening for a ride to check the status...

Rick said...

Yea, that was joke. I work with some serious mtn bikers and they have Popeye-like forearms!

Lucho said...

I left my sense of humor on the ground in Leadville I guess.