Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Wednesday 14 miles.

am) Ti Session. I had on my schedule 10 X 1000 at threshold but I felt excellent today despite the wind and cold and flew through the first kilometer and didn't stop. I ended up with 6 X 1 miles at a progressive build to slightly above Threshold HR.
Mile: Max HR
1- 5:27 167
2- 5:25 172
3- 5:21 174
4- 5:19 174
5- 5:10 180
6- 5:00 184
PE on these were sub LT. Rest intervals were easy walk to HR 150 (~30"-1:00).

pm) Very light 4 miles. This jog is an important one that I often make the mistake of pushing too hard. I wore my HR monitor and kept my HR below 130. The only goal was to increase blood flow to my legs, get the muscles and tendons loosened up and increase their range of motion.
Tomorrow I have my long run which is going to be a double. Every other week I have been jogging down to my wifes library, I call it urban adventuring... the only time I ever run in traffic. I am going to make the day a "special block" ala Rogers Rop's marathon schedule. He has done as much as 17 miles in the morning and then repeating it again in the evening. Tomorrow I will run 20 miles easy in the morning then run to Jo's library, another 13 in the evening.

2 comments:

Brett said...

Wow, definitely want to hear how that goes. Also, what's your take on the max aerobic test that Allen, Gordo, et. al. talk about.

I did one the other day, and my pace was much faster than I thought, which is a good thing. However, when strictly marathoning, for a rookie, how would you apply that? Say maybe take the first half at MAP, or is that too conservative? Thanks as usual ...

Lucho said...

Brett- I don't know what those guys have been discussing, but if it's Maffetone principles then I'm very familiar with them. I started the MAF training nearly 10 years ago and have found many flaws and positives in the principles since then. Maffetone training is simply a starting point and I would certainly caution you against adhering strictly to it. Having data from an LT diagnostic test is ideal. MAP may be too slow or too fast.. I would have you run as much as you possibly can at ~15-25 beats below LT during base training, then as you gain muscular strength and durability (this may take years) then switch to a more rigorous training foundation that uses a percentage of goal marathon pace/ HR. Specificity is above all else when it comes to training for a race. Regardless of your MAP, you will have a far better chance at succeeding in a marathon by training as much as possible within 90%-103% of goal marathon pace. This applies only to the last 8-10 weeks of your training schedule of course. But- even in your base building you should be training with most of your mileage within 10% of your current marathon pace/ fitness. Note: the difference between current marathon fitness/ pace and goal pace.
In the end, don't over think it too much. Find a philosophy that you like and enjoy...then run as much as you can as consistently as possible for as long as possible. It's running.. .it's what the cavemen did to get dinner. ;)
The first 20.5 miles of the day went well. Fairly simple.